Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Weekend Gathering

I had the chance to go to a Martial Arts seminar in Campbell California this past weekend. I went with Professor Barber who has been my instructor since I was a kid. The seminar was very well organized and I learned a lot attending the individual sessions. We taught one on the sessions and had quite a crowd. We stayed with the guy who was hosting the event and got to help with setup and teardown. This was a very small price to pay for getting to meet some very wonderful people. The thing that struck me about this community was how everyone was willing to share. I went to a few sessions and was struggling because what we were practicing was totally different then what we practice. People were willing to help if you ask for and accept help. I learned lots of fine details by just asking and watching what others were doing. I tried to work out with as many different people as possible, and as such I meet and was able to share a bit of what we practice and also learn a bit from others. Sharing like this is a truly special thing. 

While in Campbell I got a chance to go for a run. I got to run along a portion of the Los Gatos Trail This was a wonderful trail. It was a few minutes from Hans' house. They dropped me off while they went to run some errands. I told them I wanted to run for an hour. I got about 5 mins into the run and it started to rain. I didn't care it was a light rain and it helped cool me off. I got in a 6 mile run. I ran past 3 spillways and the scenery was nice. There were mountains in the background the rain didn't bother me too much. I was surprised to see the number of people using the trail durning the week and on a rainy/misty day. I wore my garmin so I could track my run. I was wishing we had a system of trails like this in Jacksonville. This was right in the heart of town and I was told lots of these trails link up so you can get places or get in plenty of miles if your training. While I am happy to be home with the kids It was a nice trip.

No comments: